Tuesday

Ron Delorme

Ron Delorme was a honest, unrelenting mucker and grinder with the Colorado Rockies and the Vancouver Canucks.

A popular player with his teammates and the fans, Delorme was a hero to Native Canadians. A proud Cree Indian from North Battleford, Saskatchewan, Delorme became a role model for aspiring native hockey players and athletes. "Chief," his obvious nickname, spent a lot of his spare time visiting reservations and native banquets encouraging Native youths to aspire for great things like he did.

Delorme was drafted by the Kansas City Scouts 56th overall in the 1975 Entry Draft. He split the next season playing with his junior club in Lethbridge, the WHA in Denver and the CHL in Tucson. The following season he made his NHL debut in 1976 with the relocated Scouts, now known as the the Colorado Rockies.

Delorme would play 4 full seasons with the Rockies, becoming one of Don Cherry's favorite players. The 6'2" 185lb right winger scored a career high 20 goals in 1978-79 and a career high 43 points the year later.

Delorme was left exposed in the pre-season waiver draft in 1981 and the Canucks quickly picked up the big winger. Delorme was a tireless worker but failed to produce offensively like he did in Colorado. His best statistical season was his first on the West Coast as he scored 17 points and accumulated a career high 177 penalty minutes. He also was a regular player in the Canucks Cinderella Stanley Cup playoff run of 1982.

Delorme's career came to an end 31 games into the 1984-85 season. Delorme sustained extensive damage to his left knee following a collision with Calgary defenseman Jamie Macoun. Delorme missed the rest of the season and when he still wasn't fully recovered by the time the 1985-86 season started, Delorme decided he obviously couldn't play anymore.

Delorme went on to become a scout for the Vancouver Canucks. Among the players he discovered was another Native Canadian who would achieve even bigger cult-status in Vancouver - Gino Odjick.

7 comments:

Anonymous,  3:54 PM  

Delorme was engaged in one of the best hockey fights I ever saw - in 1984 he went toe-to-toe with the Flames Jamie Macoun for nearly 30 seconds before Delorme splattered Macoun's nose and made him blink first. Delorme was fearless and I have a lot of great fight of his on tape. Thanks God the Canucks prospects are doing better these days, or Delorme would be out of a job now!

Anonymous,  6:20 PM  

although my son was not even born yet when my relative Ron played his years in the nhl, it still amazes me today at the age of 16, 200 pounds and 6ft 3 ins that he tunes in to see his uncles fights to get pumped up for a game. He has never met my son but family is family no matter what.
from Beardy's

Anonymous,  8:47 AM  

I never got to see him play but my dad and grand pa told me he was one of the best fighters

Anonymous,  8:32 PM  

A hustling, grinding checker who feared no one and would break his legs for a teammate. Delorme was about as honorable as tough guys get. A great team man.

Anonymous,  5:42 PM  

My uncle ron delorme, he always go to my uncles place to watch the roughriders play and my dad would be there too, so it was cool to see him there every now and then.
A.delorme.

Anonymous,  12:56 AM  

My biological mother Rose Accose (Delorme) is Ron's aunt. I have never met him But the one thing I was told by my mother when I met her later in life was that he was my cousin. She gushing about him!! I take pride in the fact that I am related to Ron. What I have learned about him I have been proud about! I am a Vancouver Canucks fan so the Chief has more meaning to me then it ever has!

B Delorme,  10:16 AM  

I met Ron Delorme at a WHL scouting players he is one of the nicest people to meet , not to mention a great fighter in his time .

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP