Ed Dyck

Ed Dyck was born and raised in Warman which is about 10 miles North of Saskatoon. He started his junior career for the famous Estevan Bruins (WHL) in 1967-68 where he was the backup goalie to Chris Worthy who went on to play for Oakland and California in the NHL.  Ed won the WHL championship with Estevan that season, but his stint there was pretty shortlived as he went on to play for the Calgary Centennials (WHL) halfway into the 1968-69 season.

Ed was one of WHL's busiest and best goalies for the next two seasons. His Calgary didn't win the WHL championship but they came close. Ed had the best goal against average in the 1970 playoffs (2.81 GAA). He also had the best average after the 1970-71 regular season (2.53 GAA). During that 70-71 season Ed won the Del Wilson trophy as WHL's outstanding goalie. He also made the WHL All-Star team in 1970 and 71.

After his fine performance in the 1970 WHL playoffs he got drafted by Vancouver (3rd choice - 30th overall) that same summer.

Ed started his pro career in the AHL for the Rochester Americans in 1971-72, and also saw some time with the Seattle Totems. But later that season he was called up by Vancouver where he did well (3.66 GAA) under the barrage of shots he faced.

In 1972-73 he backed up Dunc Wilson admirably and played 25 games for Vancouver. Ed also played 13 games for Seattle. He continued his backup role in Vancouver the following season (12 games), this time to Gary Smith. That 1973-74 season was Ed's last in the NHL.

In April 1974 Ed was the first player signed by the Indianapolis Racers of the WHA. At the time of the signing Dyck said: " It's a kind of special feeling being first, but at the same time, I realize the responsibilities and challenges that go with it." He played 32 games during the 1974-75 season for Indianapolis, finishing with a 4.36 GAA. If Ed played for strong junior teams he certainly didn't in the pros. The teams were very poor defensively which his 21-64-14 record is a good indication of. During this time the soft spoken Ed was considered to have one of the fastest gloves in all pro hockey. His reflexes were lightning fast and he often made spectacular saves with his glove hand. He liked to work a lot with his stick and was always cool under pressure.

After the WHA stint Ed was loaned to the Swedish division 2 club Bodens BK for the 1975-76 season as a compensation for the signing of the Swedish goalie Leif "Honken" Holmqvist, a longtime member of the Swedish National Team.

Jan-Erik "Biffen" Nilsson,the coach of Boden was exstatic at that time to get Ed. " I don't understand how Indianapolis could release Ed and buy "Honken" instead. "Honken" isn't in the same class, " coach Nilsson said.

Ed became an instant hit with the Swedish fans. He trained with Bodens BK for the first time on August 27, 1975, the same day as Boden was to meat local rivals IFK Lulea in a friendly game. To the delight of 2.563 people in the stands, Ed shut out the opponent. They chanted his name over and over. He was an overnight success. The fact that Ed had two fellow Canadians (Ron Smith - ex NY Islanders and Jeff Ablet (ex-Forth Worth - IHL) as his teammates made the transition to a foreign team a lot easier.

At an early stage it became apparent that Ed was too good for the Swedish Division 2. But instead of trying to get back to the WHA or NHL Ed decided to retire, only 26-years of age and not even at the peak of his career. It was really a shame because he had a lot more to give.


Kelly Cooley 4:30 PM  

Actually he was not raised in Warman. He was raised in Battleford.

  © Blogger templates Newspaper III by 2008

Back to TOP